THE GROOVE FONDUE

poems fondue

Friday, September 01, 2006

The Bachelor: Part II

I continued drinking as I waited for an answer to my original question but, in retrospect, I suppose I already had it.  The general picked up his own highball and gulped.  He finally introduced himself as an admiral, Admiral Lowe, but said nothing of the girls.  They introduced themselves as Marie and Gertrude, respectively.  They said they already knew me so I didn’t tell them my name.  And soon after I was laughing amongst strangers.  I had noticed the broken glass that had woken me up but said nothing for fear of killing the mood.  

They turned out to be rather nice people, actually, despite their strange mannerisms.  The Admiral was a funny man and his head was filled with joke after joke after.  He would fill my glass as soon as it was done and I am quickly drunk anyway.  

The microwave read 4:47 when we moved to the dining room.  We were set at the table and continued drinking and laughing.  I began giving them bits from my life.  Not too much--too interesting.  I explained how much I hated working at the bank every day.  They all listened and the Admiral interspersed hilarity into my bitching.  

By now the wall clock had become two clocks, perfectly synchronized, which overlapped depending on the location of the eyes and the drunk.  Both faces read 5:55 so I mentioned that the sun would be rising soon.  This made them look at each other in a slight panic.  But as we had become so endeared I explained that it was winter and there was still another hour of darkness to enjoy.  Onward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home